Monday, May 11, 2015

BABAGANOUSH

My current obsession: babaganoush.

It's meant to be eaten as a dip with vegetables, or pita bread, or SOMETHING. For me, it's like crack in hummus form.

Every time I go to the refrigerator now, I look at my container of babaganoush and say, "oh one more spoonful." After all, I made it with my own ingredients and it's all vegetable!! There's nothing bad about it. Basically for dinner I have eaten the following:
- many green grapes
- some raspberries
- a tablespoon of olive oil
- a generous amount of lemon juice
- a few spoons of tahini
- a head of garlic
- some spices
- ... an entire eggplant. (peeled, sliced up, and broiled for about 3-4 mins on each side)

EGGPLANT? You say. There is nothing exciting about eggplant unless it's fried, smothered in tomato sauce and cheese, and pronounced with an Italian accent before the word "PARMIGIANO!" But people give eggplant a bad name. It has a lot to offer. You've just got to give it a chance!! OK I will admit that if you refuse to get creative, babaganoush can come off as a little bland. But don't be afraid of the spice cabinet! Add crushed red pepper! Sea salt! Black pepper! Chili powder! MORE GARLIC. In my non-professional but really strong opinion, it's pretty much the healthiest thing you can possibly eat ever in the whole wide world. Because garlic.

I've come to realize that I don't hate anything. I even will eat broccoli if people prepare it right, although I won't enjoy it the way I do babaganoush, probably. I think this is better (sugar-wise) than dried mangoes. If I'm being honest with myself, I'm hoping the babaganoush will distract me from my dried mango obsession for a while.

Speaking of mangoes -- fun English fact! TIL that there is a rule about the -o at the end of a word. Here it is:
- If a word ends in consonant-o (like mango) you add an -e before the -s to make a plural (hence "mangoes", not "mangos")
- If a word ends in a vowel-o (like radio) there is no -e before the -s to make a plural (hence "radios," not "radioes")
There are some exceptions, but I felt like that was pretty useful.

I will now attach a picture of my creation from when I made it for the first time last week! I just cooked some chicken and onions on the side in coconut oil to eat with it. NOM NOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment